Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Come on man, just hold the stupid door



I am generally not a fan of male bashing. With all of the stupid portrayals of clueless husbands in the media, I get pretty tired of it. And so, I apologize for those of you men who aren't idiots out there. But for those of you who are boneheaded maroons... "come on man, get your act together."

It seems that over the last few weeks, I have been running parallel with a herd of very clueless full grown little boys. I first noticed them at the local movie rental outfit. An older teen was walking in front of us, with his mom close behind him. His head was buried in his smartphone and as he came to the door, without even looking up, he pushed the door and walked in, leaving the door free to swing into his mother face. He repeated this a few feet later as he breeched the inner door. I hope with all my heart that I have not done that to another human being, much less my own mom, but this lady didn't even seem to notice, apparently, she had become acustomed to this type of treatment.

A few days later, I was sitting in the lobby of the hospital, when a nurse wheeled a young lady out the exit. I watched as the husband pulled up in the car, leaned over and unlocked the door from the inside. He watched as the nurse helped the girl out of the chair and into the car. The door had not even closed before he pulled away from the curb. I cannot imagine how loved and cherished that young girl felt.

Just tonight, I ran into another member of the herd. A measly little man walked out of a building followed by his wife. This guy was considerate enough to hold the door until his wife had a hold of it, but he also left her to walk through alone and shortly after that, he Beelined it to his side of the car and left his wife to open her own door.

Now, maybe I am being a bit picky, but really guys, has the pendulum swung so far away from manliness that we cant be bothered to show a little honor to the fairer side of humanity. I know that I am preaching to the choir here, but maybe we need to lead by example and show the clueless among us, how it is done.

No comments: